As we age, the appearance of our skin changes. Fine lines and wrinkles are normal parts of the aging process. Mature skin cells divide more slowly and the dermis, the inner layer of skin, begins thinning. This affects the structure and pliability of skin. Aging skin also has more difficulty retaining moisture, produces less oil, and heals more slowly. Each of these factors contributes to skin wrinkles but homemade facial masks can make these lines less noticeable.
Lifestyle choices can also affect the development of wrinkles. Too much time in the sun damages skin, contributing to wrinkles. Smoking slows production of collagen, a key component of skin structure. Reduced collagen production creates the ideal environment for wrinkle development. Even laughing, frowning, squinting, and other facial expressions can make wrinkles appear more prominent if they are done habitually.
Thankfully, we need not settle for unattractive wrinkles created by nature or caused by our habits. Several natural substances are effective at addressing the issue and are used in homemade treatments:
· Borage seed oil: a natural emollient, this oil reinforces the moisture barrier within the lower epidermis of skin. As an anti-wrinkle mask ingredient, it also helps combat fine lines on the face.
· Egg whites: made from separated eggs, these are used in cleansers, serums, and face masks to tighten and lighten skin
· Fennel essential oil: increases skin elasticity, smoothes wrinkles, and helps to tighten skin, making it the perfect anti-aging facial mask ingredient
· Neroli oil: produced from blossoms of the bitter orange tree, this oil increases the elasticity of mature skin and is included in masks designed for wrinkles and saggy skin
· Sandalwood essential oil: helps to strengthen connective tissue and reduce the appearance of age spots and other skin discoloration. It is combined with other ingredients to create a facial mask with an anti-aging goal
One simple anti wrinkle mask contains five drops of sandalwood oil, ½ cup of full fat milk, and ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder. After boiling the milk, add the remaining ingredients and simmer on low heat for ten minutes. After allowing the mixture to cool, skim the cream from the top and apply this to skin. Leave it on for ten to fifteen minutes, wash off with warm water and pat the face dry. Regular use of homemade facial masks like this one may reduce the appearance of age spots and cause wrinkle depth to decrease, making skin appear more youthful.
By Mia Gordon